[Mailman-Users] Subscriber's Choice - html or plain text?

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Thu Mar 10 05:48:59 CET 2005

Daniel Bulli wrote:

>I would like to set up an announce list using Mailman, but would like the users to have the option to receive html or plain text emails.     I have only seen such an option on digest mode.
>
>Does anyone know if this is possible?

The option for digests is MIME vs. plain text, not HTML vs. plain text.
It controls whether the digest is sent with each post as a separate
message/rfc822 part vs. all messages in a flat text digest.

There is no user option for message or digest mode which allows
selection of HTML vs. plain text.

However, since you are talking about an announce list, and you have
control over what's posted, you could turn off (or not turn on)
content filtering for the list and then what you post will go to the
list as is, at least to non-digest subscribers, and you probably don't
have digest subscribers anyway.

Then you can post multipart/alternative with plain text and HTML parts
to the list and the users can select via their MUAs which part to view.

This may or may not be a satisfactory solution for you, but I think
it's the best you can do with current Mailman.