[Mailman-Users] How do the spammers do it?

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Sat May 14 21:54:52 CEST 2005

JC Dill wrote:

>Mike Avery wrote:
>
>>How do they get the list name?
>>
>A recipient has a virus/trojan infected computer that is disclosing the
>list email address to the spammer who controls the trojan.

I think JC's explanation is likely. I have two public lists on the same
server, the smaller list is actually older, but only the larger list
gets spammed. In many cases the spam is sent to both the list address
and the list-bounces address. Thus it seems likely that these
addresses are harvested via spyware of some kind from a list recipient.