[Mailman-Users] (no subject)

Heather Madrone heather at madrone.com
Wed Nov 2 00:54:43 CET 2005

Greetings, O knowledgeable Mailman users,

This morning, I discovered that mail to some of my list members is bouncing
with the following error message:

Nov  1 14:50:49 integrity postfix/smtp[1526]: 2CA3CAA2A5: to=<xxx at zzz.com>, relay=yyy.zzz.com[209.166.195.135], delay=34308, status=deferred (host yyy.zzz.com[209.166.195.135] said: 450 <mailman-bounces at Integrity.local>: Sender address rejected: Domain not found (in reply to RCPT TO command))

I immediately blamed postfix for using the machine's real hostname instead of
the one I told it to.  After I'd straightened that out, I looked at the error again,
and said, "Hmm, this looks like it could be coming from Mailman.  When I
installed Mailman on this system, its hostname was Integrity.local, and I haven't
run fix_url on the mailman list."

So I ran fix_url on the mailman list.

I don't at this point know whether that fixed the problem (these bounces
are coming from messages that originated last night) or even whether it
should have fixed the problem.  The headers of messages coming from
my mailing lists have the hostname right, but I'm not sure where mailman-
bounces comes into the picture.

Is there anything else I need to do to fix the hostname for the mailman
list?

--
Heather Madrone <heather at madrone.com>
The Home-Ed List:  http://www.madrone.com/Home-ed/helist.html

You can lead a child to learning, but you can't make her think.