[Mailman-Users] Host won't upgrade, what are my options?

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Wed Nov 2 23:47:51 CET 2005

At 6:38 PM -0500 2005-11-02, Sam Santos wrote:

>  I was able to pull up the mbox file using Mark's sample URL.

	Cool.  I'm glad to hear it.

>                                                                However, it
>  only goes as far back as May 2003.

	Ouch.  Sorry to hear that.  ;(

>  Beyond that I have stuff that dates as far back as Feb, 2001, but it didn't
>  appear to be inside the mbox file. Is there another mbox file floating
>  around or does that really old stuff predate the mbox file format? If so, is
>  it collected into one file somewhere by any chance?

	Your provider may have gzip'ed the old mbox file and kept it
around somewhere, but the mbox file is not needed unless you're going
to rebuild the archives -- they might also have just deleted the old
one, once the new one was created.

	If you're lucky, you may be able to make slight modifications to
the sample URL that Mark provided, and stumble into wherever your
provider put the older archive mbox.  Otherwise, you may be able to
re-construct the raw source format archive mbox, based on the text
archives which you hopefully have.  The format is very similar.

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755