[Mailman-Users] Fwd: Bounce action notification

Jared Rimer jrimer at tagline.cc
Fri Nov 4 17:23:15 CET 2005

Great.    I don't have any log access.

At 22:41 11/3/2005, you wrote:
>Jared Rimer wrote:
> >
> >         I don't understand this bounce message.  Which one of these
> >addresses are bouncing?  It disabled the owner again as you'll
> >see.  I'll be looking for responses.  Thanks.
>

>I'm snipping a lot of stuff out, but Here's what is happening (I
>think). A list post is sent to <joannasimon at sbcglobal.net> and it
>bounces because <joannasimon at sbcglobal.net> does not accept mail from
>addresses not in her address book. In order for the post to be
>accepted, some address, maybe <woodlake_el_school at yahoo.com> (the
>From:) or maybe <woodlake_el_school-bounces at wbby.us> (the envelope
>sender) has to be in her address book. Maybe only a specific one will
>work or maybe either one would work. In any case, that's beside the
>point here.
>
>The bounce is returned to <woodlake_el_school-bounces at wbby.us> as it
>should be, but the bounce processor doesn't recognize the format so it
>tries to forward the unrecognized bounce to the list owner
><Woodlake_el_school-owner at wbby.us> and from <mailman-bounces at wbby.us>.
>Now at this point I'm unsure, but it looks like Mailman's SMTP
>delivery queued the message directly as a bounce as it will if it gets
>a failure directly from the outgoing MTA.
>
>The outgoing message then gets queued as a bounce for
><Woodlake_el_school-owner at wbby.us>. BounceRunner claims to recognize
>this case, but I'm not clear on exactly how it scores this for
><woodlake_el_school at yahoo.com>, but it appears that it does. This
>happens enough times to disable the member and the disable gets sent
>from <mailman at wbby.us> and envelope sender
><mailman-bounces at idea5.anoeticconcepts.com> to
><Woodlake_el_school-owner at wbby.us> and it ultimately is delivered to
><jrimer at tagline.cc> who is apparently an owner.
>
>Here's the final bounce action notification saying
><woodlake_el_school at yahoo.com> has been disabled.

> >>Subject: Bounce action notification
> >>From: mailman at wbby.us
> >>To: Woodlake_el_school-owner at wbby.us
> >>Date: Thu, 03 Nov 2005 21:22:31 -0600
> >>Sender: mailman-bounces at idea5.anoeticconcepts.com
> >>         autolearn=no version=3.0.3
> >>
> >>This is a Mailman mailing list bounce action notice:
> >>
> >>     List:       Woodlake_el_school
> >>     Member:     woodlake_el_school at yahoo.com
> >>     Action:     Subscription disabled.
> >>     Reason:     Excessive or fatal bounces.
> >>

> >>The triggering bounce notice is attached below.
> >>
> >>Questions? Contact the Mailman site administrator at mailman at wbby.us.
> >>

>This is the attached, triggering bounce, which was apparently queued
>directly as a bounce during attempted delivery because there are no
>received headers. It is a typical Uncaught bounce notification that
>for some reason was itself undeliverable at the Mailman to Exim stage.
>To see why, you need to look at Exim logs or Mailman's smtp-failure
>log for entries around Thu, 03 Nov 2005 21:08:53 -0600.
>

> >>Subject: Uncaught bounce notification
> [...]

Jared Rimer
Business website: http://www.superior-software.com/support
Personal Website: http://www.asmodean.net/jrimer
Music Education Network for the Visually Impaired  http://menvi.org a
service done through Superior Software level one
WBBY Internet Radio and All In Play team up.  Learn more
http://www.menvi.org/allinplay
WBBY Internet Radio: www.wbby.us