[Mailman-Users] Fwd: Re: Fwd:Bounce action notification

Jared Rimer jrimer at tagline.cc
Sun Nov 6 18:45:25 CET 2005

Mark, Thanks, will pass this along.  We are using Cpannel though, but
might be able to get something.  I'm behind.

At 18:51 11/4/2005, Mark Sapiro wrote:
>Jared Rimer wrote:
>
> >Hi all,
> >         Here's  a message from my provider.  Any other ideass?
>

>I have added some comments if you want to pursue this further.
>

> >>I'm not sure I can give you any more information than what was
> >>contained in that thread.
> >>
> >>Basically, it sounds like one of the list members has their email
> >>address configured to only allow mail from people in their address
> >>book.  This sounds like some sort of 0spam or box trapper.  So, since
> >>that person apparently does not have the list address in their address
> >>book or white list, the mail from the list bounces.  However, it's not
> >>a standard bounce message which can be recognized by Mailman, so
> >>Mailman tries to notify the list owner.
>

>Yes, but unrecognized bounces do happen from time to time for other
>reasons such as full mailboxes and so forth. Mailman isn't perfect at
>recognizing and parsing all bounce messages.
>

> >>As in that response, I don't understand exactly why this notification
> >>isn't successful, but something causes that not to be delivered to the
> >>yahoo address, generating a bounce response for that address which
> >>then gets treated like a member, because it is, and gets disabled.
> >>
> >>I think there are 2 things that can be done:  First, the person using
> >>the box trapper can be removed from the list until they get their act
> >>together.  Second, you can turn off notification of unrecognized
> >>bounce messages.
>

>Item 2 would avoid the issue for unrecognized bounces, but it would be
>better to find and fix the underlying problem if we can.
>

> >>It wasn't clear to me why the notification of the unrecognized bounce
> >>report wasn't delivered successfully, but if the experts on the
> >>Mailman list couldn't tell you, I'm sure I wouldn't have a clue.  If
> >>you want to follow through on this further, you need to ask them why
> >>Mailman would treat a list owner's rejection as a member's rejection
> >>notice.
>

>The bouncing address is the listname-owner address which appears to get
>mapped by the bounce processor into an actual address from the list's
>owner attribute.
>
>We can't say exactly why the message was not accepted by Exim but there
>should be messages in both the Exim logs and in Mailman's smtp-failure
>log that can shed light on this. We'd like to see those messages.
>

> >>Out of curiosity, is there any sort of box trapper running on the
> >>wooklake_el_school at yahoo.com address?  Therein might lie the problem
> >>if that address is not accepting mail from the host
> >>idea5.anoeticconcepts.com since Mailman apparently uses the host name
> >>rather than the "preferred domain" for some of its delivery
> >>notifications.
>

>I don't think this is the reason, because I thing the message is not
>accepted from Mailman by Exim. If the above were the reason, I think
>the bounce would occur later on Exim's attempt to deliver to Yahoo.

> [...]

Jared Rimer
Business website: http://www.superior-software.com/support
Personal Website: http://www.asmodean.net/jrimer
Music Education Network for the Visually Impaired  http://menvi.org a
service done through Superior Software level one
WBBY Internet Radio and All In Play team up.  Learn more
http://www.menvi.org/allinplay
WBBY Internet Radio: www.wbby.us