[Mailman-Users] Slow Outgoing Queue

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Wed Nov 9 00:16:49 CET 2005

Harold Paulson wrote:

>On Nov 8, 2005, at 12:19 PM, Mark Sapiro wrote:
>
>[deletia]
>
>> Visit the FAQ wizard
>>> Mailman FAQ: http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py
>> and search for performance.
>
>I am familiar with the optimization tips in the excellent FAQ, and have
>used them in the past to configure my MTA (Postfix).  I do not believe
>this is an MTA issue.  If you will review the Mailman logs I posted,
>you will see that the delay is almost entirely within the Mailman
>queue:
>
>logs/vette:Nov 08 10:24:25 2005 (91201) held message approved,
>message-id: <43707B8E.17015.163FEC at localhost>
>
>logs/post:Nov 08 11:18:45 2005 (3641) post to students from
>[email at address.hidden], size=5383,
>message-id=<43707B8E.17015.163FEC at localhost>, success
>
>As you can see, nearly an hour elapsed between the time the message was
>approved by a list moderator, and the time Mailman *started* delivery.
>I would not expect that the MTA is involved in that part of the
>process, at all.

Except that the delay is likely because the OutgoingRunner was
slugishly making its way through the "between 80 and 100 .pck files in
queue/out at this time", each of which is a separate message to be
delivered.

The question is why is OutgoingRunner so slow as to create such a
backlog or perhaps what happened to dump all these messages into the
queue at once.

Also, there could be an issue with the qfiles/out directory being
physically large even if it only contains a smaller nubmer of entries
now, although that should only affect storing new queue entries, not
retrieving them. See the post at
<http://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-users/2005-July/045667.html>
for more info on this and some other tips too.