[Mailman-Users] Mailman stopped delivering mail

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Fri Nov 18 06:43:26 CET 2005

Eric Evans wrote:

>Mark, thanks very much for your suggestion.  I did read the suggested page
>and tried the little diagnostics suggested there.  They indicate no
>discrepancies, and yet I still can't get Mailman to deliver any
>messages.

See the post at
<http://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-users/2005-May/044742.html>.

This gives a more elaborate script that actually sends mail in exactly
the same way as Mailman's SMTPDirect module. If you run this script as
the mailman user, it should fail in the same way that mailman fails.
The exact failure should help diagnose the error. If you find it fails
in a way different from what's in the FAQ, please report the details
and the solution :-) so we can update the FAQ.

Note that it is important to do these tests as the mailman user. One
person kept trying them as root and they never failed. It turned out
that root could read /etc/hosts and mailman couldn't.