[Mailman-Users] Mailman stopped delivering mail

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Tue Nov 22 20:07:57 CET 2005

Eric Evans wrote:

>>What if anything do you have in mm_cfg.py for SMTPHOST and SMTPPORT? If
>>nothing, Have you perhaps changed them in Defaults.py (Nothing in
>>Defaults.py should ever be changed)?
>
>The mm_cfg.py contains
>SMTPHOST = '<128.253.175.139>'
>which is the IP address of the server that is running Mailman.
>There is no SMTPPORT in the mm_cfg.py.

When you ran the test script and it delivered mail, did you specify
SMTPHOST = '<128.253.175.139>' in the test script, or did you leave it
as SMTPHOST = 'localhost'? If the latter, you could see if the test
script fails to deliver with SMTPHOST = '<128.253.175.139>', or you
could just remove SMTPHOST = '<128.253.175.139>' from mm_cfg.py and
let it default to 'localhost'.

>>3) you are not running the test script as the same user:group as
>>Mailman's OutgoingRunner.
>
>How can I check to see what user & group the Outgoing Runner is running
>as?  I don't know exactly what executable program that corresponds to.

A command like

ps -Awf | grep python

should show all the runners and their names and pids. It will also show
the command used to invoke bin/mailmanctl. If this command does not
contain the -u/--run-as-user option, then you can safely assume all
runners are running as the 'mailman' user and group which would be the
normal case.

I suspect the problem isn't that though. I suspect the script will fail
if you tell it SMTPHOST = '<128.253.175.139>', and Mailman will work
if you remove SMTPHOST = '<128.253.175.139>' from mm_cfg.py.

>No, Mailman doesn't send anything at all.  Interestingly I can email myself
>easily enough from this host using the mail command

Which is probably using sendmail and not trying to connect to an SMTP
server at <128.253.175.139> (which BTW is if anything, a name and not
an IP address).