[Mailman-Users] New lists fail... Do I need to create aliases forExim?

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Mon Nov 28 16:13:35 CET 2005

Andrew Steele wrote:

>I'm presuming that the web interface is not creating aliases or some
>such thing.

Right. List creation only actually _creates_ aliases if MTA = Postfix.

>I see that in the ALIASES file there are a series of entries relating
>to the test list but not the other lists created via the web
>interface. However, I was advised that the mailer used by the ISP
>does not require aliases.
>
>The mailer at the ISP is Exim 4.43.

Which does not require aliases IF it is properly configured to work
with Mailman.

>If I can advise the ISP tech guys on the necessary fix then that
>would probably speed up a fix so any advice gratefully received.
>Equally, I'd be pleased to apply a fix myself provided it does not
>require root access.

It requires the ability to change the Exim configuration (maybe in
/etc/exim.conf, but maybe elsewhere).

<http://www.list.org/mailman-install/node16.html> has the basics, and
may well be enough. The full story is at
<http://www.exim.org/howto/mailman21.html>