[Mailman-Users] Error - Connection Refused.

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Tue Nov 29 02:31:50 CET 2005

Michael Duffy wrote:

>Here goes.  I've just installed mailman on a freebsd 6 machine, running
>with qmail.  Everything *seems* to be working except that posts are not
>delivered, and the following entry is made in to mailman's smtp log.
>
>Nov 28 11:02:20 2005 (720) Low level smtp error: (61, 'Connection
>refused'), msgid: <mailman.0.1132772599.623.celebration at harvest-moon.org>
>Nov 28 11:02:20 2005 (720) delivery to cosgrach at an-mhorrigan.net failed
>with code -1: (61, 'Connection refused')
>
>No entry in made in to the qmail mail log.

Mailman is attempting to connect to an SMTP server at address SMTPHOST
(default = 'localhost') and port SMTPPORT (default = 0 which means use
the default SMTP port = 25). qmail is not listening or not accepting
the connect.

See
<http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq06.014.htp>
for some diagnostics you can run from Python, but the most likely
explanation is qmail isn't listening on localhost (127.0.0.1) port 25.