[Mailman-Users] Mailman on FreeBSD 5.4 problem

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Thu Oct 6 06:35:10 CEST 2005

Sasa Stupar wrote:

>--On 4. oktober 2005 15:42 -0700 Mark Sapiro <msapiro at value.net> wrote:
>
>> This is likely still a smrsh issue. Have you seen and followed
>> http://www.list.org/mailman-install/node32.html
>
>Yes. I have seen this. On my system:
>---------------
># grep smrsh /etc/mail/sendmail.cf
>#####  $Id: smrsh.m4,v 8.14 1999/11/18 05:06:23 ca Exp $  #####
>Mprog,          P=3D/usr/sbin/smrsh, F=3DlsDFMoqeu9, S=3DEnvFromL/HdrFromL, =
>
>R=3DEnvToL/HdrToL, D=3D$z:/,
>                A=3Dsmrsh -c $u
>---------------
>
># strings /usr/sbin/smrsh | less
>/usr/libexec/sm.bin
>
>-------------------
># cd /usr/libexec/sm.bin/
># ll
>total 0
>lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  31 Oct  4 09:53 mailman ->=20
>/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman
>--------------------
>
>Any other idea?

What I can tell you is this. The error message

-----
Failure to find group name mailnull.  Try adding this group
to your system, or re-run configure, providing an
existing group name with the command line option --with-mail-gid.
-----

comes from the function check_caller in src/common.c which contains
some support functions used by the wrappers. The name 'mailnull' in
this message is actually the --with-mail-gid configured group name,
not the actual group that invoked the wrapper.

check_caller is doing the following:

        GID_T mygid = getgid();
        struct group *mygroup = getgrgid(mygid);

GID_T is set from GETGROUPS_T which in turn is defined in src/Makefile
(as gid_t on my system). The types gid_t and group are defined in
<grp.h> which is included via src/common.h.

getgid() is a c library function that gets the actual numeric parent
group id and getgrgid() gets the group structure from the numeric id.

The above message is issued if getgrgid() returns a null pointer. Thus
it really means not that mailnull is not a registered group, but
rather that the group id that smrsh used to invoke the wrapper is not
a registered group.

Either it is true that smrsh is invoking the wrapper as an unregistered
group or something in your OS and/or C library is not working right.