[Mailman-Users] hide lists from listinfo page only (leave on admin page)

Xiaoyan Ma xma at uclink.berkeley.edu
Fri Oct 7 07:45:04 CEST 2005

Each semester we create a few hundreds course mailing lists, prepopulate them, and delete them by
the end of the semester.  If we want to hide these lists from the listinfo page only, can I modify
the listinfo.py file, store the name of these lists in an arrey say called "notshowns" and then
add a logic right after "listnames.sort()", for name in listnames but not in notshowns ....

for name in listnames:(but not in notshowns)
      mlist = MailList.MailList(name, lock=0)
         if mlist.advertised:
             if mm_cfg.VIRTUAL_HOST_OVERVIEW
              mlist.web_page_url.find(hostname) == -1:
                 # List is for different identity of this host - skip it.
                 continue
             else:
                 advertised.append((mlist.GetScriptURL('listinfo'),
                                    mlist.real_name,
                                    mlist.description))

1. Is it safe to modify the logic of this file?
2. What will happen during upgrades?

BTW, there is a ../mailman/cgi-bin/listinfo file:

.../mailman/cgi-bin/listinfo: setgid ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1 (SYSV), for
GNU/Linux 2.2.5, dynamically linked (uses shared libs), not stripped

The size of this file seems to stay the same after the listinfo.py has been modified. How is this
file related to listinfo.py file?

Thanks.
Xiaoyan