[Mailman-Users] Strange errors

Dan Szkola szkola at tanis.cso.niu.edu
Mon Oct 17 18:15:20 CEST 2005

Hello all,

We are converting our lists from a different list server to mailman.

I am running a Solaris 10 box, with mailman-2.1.6rc4 and sendmail
version 8.13.3. Python version is 2.4.1.

I run sendmail in the following ways:

A normal sendmail daemon listening on port 25:

/usr/lib/sendmail -bd -q15m

A persistent queue runner:

/usr/lib/sendmail -qp1m -OPidFile=/var/run/sendmail-qrun.pid

A sendmail with submit.cf config:

/usr/lib/sendmail -Ac -q5m

A sendmail for smtp-auth listening on port 587:

/usr/lib/sendmail -bd -C/etc/mail/sendmail-auth.cf -q15m

Anyway, the problem we are having is this:

  After running for several days with no errors, we suddenly start
  seeing this error:

>>> Mail Delivery Subsystem <MAILER-DAEMON at xxxxxxx.xxx.xxx.xxx>
10/17/2005 9:18:52 AM >>>
The original message was received at Mon, 17 Oct 2005 09:18:21 -0500
from xxxxxxxx.xxx.xxx.xxx [131.156.xxx.xxx]

"|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman post testlist"
    (reason: 1)
    (expanded from: <testlist at xxxxx.xxx.xxx>)

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/mailman/scripts/post", line 35, in ?
    from Mailman.Queue.sbcache import get_switchboard
  File "/usr/local/mailman/Mailman/Queue/sbcache.py", line 19, in ?
    from Mailman.Queue.Switchboard import Switchboard
  File "/usr/local/mailman/Mailman/Queue/Switchboard.py", line 47, in
    from Mailman.Logging.Syslog import syslog
  File "/usr/local/mailman/Mailman/Logging/Syslog.py", line 22, in ?
    from Mailman.Logging.StampedLogger import StampedLogger
  File "/usr/local/mailman/Mailman/Logging/StampedLogger.py", line 20,
in ?
    from Mailman.Logging.Logger import Logger
  File "/usr/local/mailman/Mailman/Logging/Logger.py", line 25, in ?
    from Mailman.Logging.Utils import _logexc
  File "/usr/local/mailman/Mailman/Logging/Utils.py", line 18, in ?
    import traceback
ImportError: No module named traceback
554 5.3.0 unknown mailer error 1

Has anyone seen this? Should I file a bug on this or send it along
to the developers list?

Restarting sendmail seems to get rid of the problem for a day or two.
All sendmail configs have the mailman alias file included and we run
newaliases to update it on every new list creation.

Dan Szkola