[Mailman-Users] problem to send e-mil to the list

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Fri Oct 28 05:32:29 CEST 2005

Thomas Spuhler wrote:

>On Thursday 27 October 2005 07:23 am, you wrote:
>> Thomas Spuhler wrote:
>>
>> >Whne I post to the list at kostname.domain.com instead of list at domian.com I
>> > can send the e-mail but of course it comes back.
>>
>> Comes back from what with what reason? Do you mean it comes back from
>> mailman? If so, with what reason. Offhand, I can't think of any reason
>> why Mailman wouldn't accept it except maybe 'implicit destination' and
>> this should result in a held message, not a reject.
>

>Sending failed:
>Message sending failed since the following recipients were rejected by the
>server:
>spuhlerfam at btspuhler.com (The server responded: "<spuhlerfam at btspuhler.com>:
>Recipient address rejected: User unknown in local recipient table")
>The message will stay in the 'outbox' folder until you either fix the problem
>(e.g. a broken address) or remove the message from the 'outbox' folder.
>The following transport protocol was used:
>Kolab Server

This message comes from postfix and is telling you it doesn't know how
to deliver to spuhlerfam at btspuhler.com. It is quite likely that your
aliases are not configured in postfix in the right way. If things are
properly configured, I don't think it will be using the Kolab Server
transport protocol.

>> >It looks as if mailman doesn't pick up the correct 2domain.com
>>
>> It looks to me like a MTA (postfix) configuration issue.
>>
>> >I have in mm_cfg.py domain.com as e-mail address for the server.
>> >
>> >I am using Kolab 2 and postfix as e-mail setup.
>>
>> Or maybe it's a Kolab 2/postfix issue. I don't think it's Mailman.
>
>No but I don't know how to solve it. I am probably missing something in the
>postfix configuration. How does postfix get to know the mailman mailing
>lists? where does it get the mailing list address.
>
>My mm_cfg.py has this:
>###############################################
># Here's where we get the distributed defaults.
>
>from Defaults import *

># Put YOUR site-specific settings below this line.
>DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST = 'btspuhler.com'
>DEFAULT_URL_HOST = 'www.btspuhler.com'
>add_virtualhost(DEFAULT_URL_HOST, DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST)
>MTA = 'Postfix'
>
>all I added in main.cf is this, the hash:/var/lib/mailman/data/aliases
>as
>
>alias_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/aliases, hash:/var/lib/mailman/data/aliases

With MTA = 'Postfix', when you create a list, Mailman puts a bunch of
aliases in /var/lib/mailman/data/aliases. They look something like

list:              "|/var/lib/mailman/mail/mailman post list"
list-admin:        "|/var/lib/mailman/mail/mailman admin list"
list-bounces:      "|/var/lib/mailman/mail/mailman bounces list"
list-confirm:      "|/var/lib/mailman/mail/mailman confirm list"
list-join:         "|/var/lib/mailman/mail/mailman join list"
list-leave:        "|/var/lib/mailman/mail/mailman leave list"
list-owner:        "|/var/lib/mailman/mail/mailman owner list"
list-request:      "|/var/lib/mailman/mail/mailman request list"
list-subscribe:    "|/var/lib/mailman/mail/mailman subscribe list"
list-unsubscribe:  "|/var/lib/mailman/mail/mailman unsubscribe list"

Mailman then calls the POSTFIX_ALIAS_CMD which in your case is the
default '/usr/sbin/postalias' to update the aliases.db file. It is
these aliases together with the above alias_maps in the postfix config
that tell postfix how to deliver to 'list'.

In your case, something is wrong with the aliases or aliases.db files
content or permissions or they aren't where postfix thinks they are or
something in the postfix configuration, perhaps having to do with
Kolab 2, is interfering with postfix's use of the aliases, or ??

See http://www.list.org/mailman-install/node12.html and subordinates.
If you still can't figure it out, try a postfix support list. This is
not a Mailman problem. The mail never gets to Mailman.