[Mailman-Users] Having mailman treat two domains as equal during migration...

John Dennis jdennis at redhat.com
Fri Oct 28 18:16:16 CEST 2005

On Fri, 2005-10-28 at 09:30 -0600, Mike Cisar wrote:
> At this point the mail server is configured to respond to both domains, and
> treat them as the same.  Mailman itself is configured to use the new domain
> both on the web side, and all the lists have been changed to use that as
> their preferred domain.  However the problem arises with the list
> subscribers themselves.  We can't simply export the membership for the lists
> and change everyone to the new domain because everyone won't be sending with
> the new addresses at once.  In the worst case scenario we could export the
> list make the changes and reimport with nomail set so that everyone has a
> duplicate membership, and then remove the old domain accounts once the
> conversion is complete.  I'd prefer to save this as a last resort at this
> point as it is kind of messy.
>
> What I would like to do is do a one-shot conversion of all the users to the
> new domain name and then internally to mailman, when the message is first
> submitted into the mailman process simply have a regex replacement of the
> sender's domain name so even though the message might actually be coming
> from joeblow at olddomain.com mailman would read that in, do a quick replace in
> its mind and for the rest of the process treat the message as if it had come
> from joeblow at newdomain.com

Why involve mailman? Why not use either the alias feature or the address
rewriting feature of your MTA?

But don't you have a larger problem? If the user is still using his old
address and thus receiving mail at his old address and you change his
address to the new domain when mailman sends the mail to the list then
how is somebody going to respond to that user? It's going to go to the
new address right where he won't see it (or were you planning on
aliasing these as well?).
--
John Dennis <jdennis at redhat.com>