[Mailman-Users] Getting started with Postfix virtual domains

Brian Parish bmp at univexsystems.com
Mon Oct 31 00:26:46 CET 2005

On Monday 31 October 2005 04:03, Mark Sapiro wrote:
> Brian Parish wrote:
> >I have been hosting using Postfix for a while now, but am just setting up
> >Mailmain for the first time.  Following the installation instructions, I
> > am breaking postfix when adding the virtual-mailman entry to my
> >virtual_alias_maps line in main.cf
> >
> >This is obviously because at this point virtual-mailman.db does not exist,
> > but I don't see a step to create it.  Presumably I am missing the
> > bleeding obvious here?
>
> Did you run bin/genaliases?
>
> Have you set MTA = 'Postfix' in mm_cfg.py?
>
> Have you set POSTFIX_STYLE_VIRTUAL_DOMAINS in mm_cfg.py?
>
> Are there any lists with host_name attribute matching a domain in
> POSTFIX_STYLE_VIRTUAL_DOMAINS ?
>
> See http://www.list.org/mailman-install/node13.html
>

> Does data/virtual-mailman exist? If so and data/virtual-mailman.db does
> not exist, does POSTFIX_MAP_CMD in Defaults.py point to the right
> command file (if not, set it in mm_cfg.py.).

OK - my problem is obviously with something that feeds bin/genaliases.  I was
interrupted and forgot that this step had problems.  When I run it I get:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "bin/genaliases", line 116, in ?
    main()
  File "bin/genaliases", line 106, in main
    MTA.create(mlist, nolock=True, quiet=quiet)
  File "/var/mailman/Mailman/MTA/Postfix.py", line 230, in create
    if mlist and mlist.host_name in mm_cfg.POSTFIX_STYLE_VIRTUAL_DOMAINS:
TypeError: 'in <string>' requires character as left operand

In mm_cfg.py:

DEFAULT_URL_HOST   = 'www.univexsystems.com'
DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST = 'univexhosting.com'
MTA = 'Postfix'
POSTFIX_STYLE_VIRTUAL_DOMAINS = 'univexhosting.com'

univexhosting.com is in my postfix virtual db and is receiving mail happily.

Does that clarify anything?

TIA
Brian