[Mailman-Users] unwinding mailman's use of domains

Heather Madrone heather at madrone.com
Mon Oct 31 00:26:52 CET 2005

At 3:28 PM -0800 10/30/05, Mark Sapiro wrote:
>Heather Madrone wrote:
> >Is there a way to reset the DEFAULT_URL_HOST and
>>DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST to use host.domain without
> >setting up virtual hosts?
>What you need to do is pick one canonical url host and email host and
>set DEFAULT_URL_HOST and DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST to those values (probably
>'www.host.domain' and 'host.domain') and run fix_url to fix all your

Thanks.  I've already set DEFAULT_URL_HOST and DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST
(without add_virtualhost) hoping that would be enough.

>Then you need to put a rewrite in your web server to rewrite all the
>other host names to the canonical one (maybe only for mailman).
>In Apache, this might look like:
>RewriteEngine on
>RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST}    !^www\.host\.domain [NC]
>RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST}    !^$
>RewriteRule ^/mailman(/.*)  http://www.host.domain/mailman$1   [L,R]

It doesn't look like this is necessary.

>Of course the one big issue I see is the following. Can you access
>www.host.domain from your side of the router?

Absolutely.  On the 10.2.8 server, I have a line in /etc/hosts that looks like this:       localhost  domain.com   xxx.local   xxx.domain.com  lists.domain.com   www.domain.com

Which does a good job of telling the Mac which names it ought to answer to.
Other machines on the local network are also handled through /etc/hosts,
and they also have other local machines in their /etc/hosts.  It's all old-
fashioned and Unix-y.  If I had a bigger network, I'd do it on a local
name server.

It also means that I can't tell when my Mailman pages have gone AWOL to
the rest of the world.  My machine always knows where they are, even if
the domain MX entries have gone missing.

Thank you,

Heather Madrone <heather at madrone.com>