[Mailman-Users] unwinding mailman's use of domains

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Mon Oct 31 03:40:45 CET 2005

Heather Madrone wrote:

>At 3:28 PM -0800 10/30/05, Mark Sapiro wrote:
>>Heather Madrone wrote:
>>
>>What you need to do is pick one canonical url host and email host and
>>set DEFAULT_URL_HOST and DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST to those values (probably
>>'www.host.domain' and 'host.domain') and run fix_url to fix all your
>>lists.
>
>Thanks.  I've already set DEFAULT_URL_HOST and DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST
>(without add_virtualhost) hoping that would be enough.

Perhaps I misunderstood your question. You ALWAYS have a VIRTUAL_HOSTS
dictionary, even if it only has one entry. It is initialized in
Defaults.py with the Defaults.py values of DEFAULT_URL_HOST and
DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST. If you change DEFAULT_URL_HOST and/or
DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST in mm_cfg.py, then you should follow that with

VIRTUAL_HOSTS.clear()

as mentioned in FAQ 4.29. You want to do this even if you have

VIRTUAL_HOST_OVERVIEW = Off

>>Then you need to put a rewrite in your web server to rewrite all the
>>other host names to the canonical one (maybe only for mailman).
>>
>>In Apache, this might look like:
>>
>>RewriteEngine on
>>RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST}    !^www\.host\.domain [NC]
>>RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST}    !^$
>>RewriteRule ^/mailman(/.*)  http://www.host.domain/mailman$1   [L,R]
>
>It doesn't look like this is necessary.

It's not if you have

VIRTUAL_HOST_OVERVIEW = Off

but you need to insure that DEFAULT_URL_HOST is the externally
accessable one.

Also, there is an issue with VIRTUAL_HOST_OVERVIEW = Off that can cause
the DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST to be used in some cases where DEFAULT_URL_HOST
should be used. See
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1275856&group_id=103&atid=100103.
This can cause the web_page_url attribute of lists created via the web
to use DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST instead of DEFAULT_URL_HOST.