[Mailman-Users] unwinding mailman's use of domains

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Mon Oct 31 15:55:02 CET 2005

Heather Madrone wrote:

>Another possibility (given that I know very little about Mailman's innards)
>is that configuring the host name at make time causes a different behavior
>than configuring it mm_cfg.py.  I don't know whether that makes sense,
>but it is one of the things that I did differently this time around.

Providing the correct names to configure causes the correct values to
be assigned to DEFAULT_URL_HOST, DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST and the
VIRTUAL_HOSTS dictionary (add_virtualhost) in Defaults.py so that none
of these actually need to be mentioned in mm_cfg.py because they are
already correct. That's all it does.

>(So much else is different -- different versions of Python, Mailman, Apache,
>Postfix instead of exim for the MTA, the operating system, the hardware --
>that it might be difficult to figure out exactly what is causing the improved
>behavior.)
>
>>When you visit the web interface using some 'other' host, e.g.,
>>http://localhost/mailman/listinfo, is that what appears in the address
>>bar of the browser with the resulting page or is it
>>http://www.host.domain/mailman/listinfo? If the latter, then Apache is
>>rewriting it somehow.
>
>All my lists show on all hosts (this did not happen in my previous Mailman
>installation),

Since VIRTUAL_HOST_OVERVIEW has the default On setting, I think this
has to be Apache providing a fixed host name. For example, there might
be a SetEnv or PassEnv in httpd.conf to set HTTP_HOST to
www.host.domain in all cases.