[Mailman-Users] A non-text attachment was scrubbed... -- URL break

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Sat Sep 3 01:39:01 CEST 2005

Tim Willson wrote:

>If I set Non-digest options/"Scrub attachments of regular delivery message?"
>to Yes my archived messages URL's have an extra = in the URL string at the
>end of line one and a line break making the URL 2 lines and non-clickable.
<snip>

This was at some point a quoted-printable encoding. I don't know where
the '>' at the end of the first line came from, but in
quoted-printable speak the '=' at the end of the first line of

means "there is really no line-break here - join this line to the next".

I've looked at Mailman/Handlers/Scrubber.py, and it doesn't put angle
brackets ('<', '>') around the urls. I don't know where they are
coming from, but I don't think Mailman is doing it.

Likewise, Scrubber.py does not produce a quoted-printable encoded
message. It produces a message with Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit.

So it looks like somewhere in the outgoing MTA path, an MTA is
converting 8bit to quoted-printable which is changing

and then somewhere further along, something is not correctly
interpreting the quoted-printable encoding - perhaps the thing which
is putting the angle brackets around the
http://www.mn.us/pipermail/listname/attachments/20050901/2d8= part.