[Mailman-Users] New mailman user

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Sun Sep 4 00:14:58 CEST 2005

Andrew Steele wrote:

>On 3 Sep 2005 at 12:25, Mark Sapiro wrote:
>
>> If you are sending to the listname at ... address, it might be an alias or
>> Exim/Mailman integration problem. Exim/Mailman integration is described at
>> http://www.exim.org/howto/mailman21.html.
>
>It does seem that the aliases are somehome not correctly created.  I
>checked the aliases file and only the test list had its aliases in the
>file.

Exim doesn't need aliases to work with Mailman. If it is integrated per
the above howto document, it actually looks at the Mailman lists/
directory to determine whether an address is for a Mailman list. Thus
aliases don't need to be added or removed when lists are created or
deleted.

>> The FAQ at
>> http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq03.014.htp
>> covers some things, but they are for the most part not things a list
>> owner with only web access to Mailman can do.
>
>I have shell access so ran the check_perms routine which threw up 12
>errors
>
>     ./check_perms
>     directory permissions must be 02775: /usr/local/mailman/cgi-bin
>     /usr/local/mailman/cgi-bin/edithtml must be set-gid
>     /usr/local/mailman/cgi-bin/confirm must be set-gid
>     /usr/local/mailman/cgi-bin/listinfo must be set-gid
>     /usr/local/mailman/cgi-bin/admin must be set-gid
>     /usr/local/mailman/cgi-bin/create must be set-gid
>     /usr/local/mailman/cgi-bin/subscribe must be set-gid
>     /usr/local/mailman/cgi-bin/admindb must be set-gid
>     /usr/local/mailman/cgi-bin/rmlist must be set-gid
>     /usr/local/mailman/cgi-bin/roster must be set-gid
>     /usr/local/mailman/cgi-bin/options must be set-gid
>     /usr/local/mailman/cgi-bin/private must be set-gid
>
>So I ran check_perms -f and the fixes went through.  I then ran rmlist to
>delete the problem list with the intention of recreating it from scratch
>now the permissions have been fixed.

These check_perms errors only have to do with the operation of the web
interface. They wouldn't have affected the operation of the list.

>Now, sadly, going to the mailman pages returns a 500 error - typically I
>found this error caused by faulty .htaccess files but I'm not sure where,
>if at all, this file might be located within the Mailman configuration.

I'm guessing you now have a cgi wrapper group mismatch error. See
http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq06.016.htp

Also, if you have access to your web server's error log, look there for
more specific information. Also, be sure the group of the cgi-bin/
directory and the wrappers it contains is the Mailman's group.