[Mailman-Users] Hello & Question about compile error under OS X 10.4.2

Jakko Westerbeke jakko at xs4all.nl
Sun Sep 11 20:44:47 CEST 2005

Hello,

My first post to this list, so first up I want to say "Hi" to everyone
here :)

But: I wouldn't have joined this list if I didn't have a problem with
Mailman that I can't figure out the solution to ... I'm trying to set up
Mailman 2.1.6 on a Mac running OS X 10.4.2, with Apple's default
installation of Python 2.3.5. The system is pretty much clean out of the
box (literally) and has Apple's developer tools installed in order to
get gcc.

Anyway, the problem is that I get an error during the "make install"
phase of installation, to be precise:

	Compiling /usr/local/mailman/Mailman/versions.py ...
	Traceback (most recent call last):
	  File "bin/update", line 46, in ?
	    import paths
	  File "/usr/local/mailman/bin/paths.py", line 55, in ?
	    import japanese
	ImportError: No module named japanese
	make: *** [update] Error 1

"./configure" and "make" both work without errors, but things stop at
this point during "make install" every time. I've traced this back to
the installation of the Japanese codecs that are supplied with Mailman,
because these refuse to install as well -- both when trying to make
Mailman itself, and when trying to install the codec separately using
the instructions provided with it. Is there a quick fix that I can't see?

FWIW, I couldn't care less about Japanese codecs due to the fact that I
don't speak Japanese and seriously don't expect to ever run a
Japanese-language list, which makes it annoying that I can't find a way
to simply skip this whole step ... It also reminds me of one of the
reasons why I stopped using Linux ;)

Any solutions would be very much appreciated :)

--
Jakko Westerbeke <jakko at xs4all.nl>
http://www.xs4all.nl/~gurth/afv