[Mailman-Users] Receiving Bounces

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Mon Apr 3 06:49:54 CEST 2006

Tim Arney wrote:

>I use Mailman 2.1.6 to manage the mailing list on my domain, which is configured using cPanel.  It seems a lot of members aren't receiving my posts, and according to my server support team bounces are being received, but from what I can see MM can't be configured to forward all bounces to the list administrator.  Is there a way around this?

Mailman can be configured to forward all unrecognized bounces to the
list admin (bounce_unrecognized_goes_to_list_owner Yes).

Assuming bounce processing is turned on for the list, bounces which are
recognized just increment the bounce score for the bouncing user. When
the user's score reaches the threshold one of two things happens
depending on the setting of VERP_PROBES. If VERP_PROBES has its
Defaults.py value of No, delivery is disabled for the user and if
bounce_notify_owner_on_disable is Yes, a copy of the disabling bounce
is sent to the list admin, or if VERP_PROBES = Yes in mm_cfg.py, the
users bounce score is reset and a VERPed probe is sent to the user,
and if that bounces, delivery is disabled for the user and if
bounce_notify_owner_on_disable is Yes, a copy of the disabling bounce
is sent to the list admin.

So no. In general you don't see all bounces, but if you want to see
them, be sure all the bounce notifications are on and set
bounce_score_threshold to 0.5. Then the first bounce for a user will
result in a disable and the bounce will be forwarded to the admin and
you can see why it bounced.