[Mailman-Users] UnicodeError in admindb interface

ts North tsnorthj at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 3 15:43:41 CEST 2006

Mark Sapiro <msapiro at value.net> wrote:
     >> I run several mailing lists under Mailman 2.1.6.  Recently one
     >> of my mailing lists received 2 spam messages, I was able to
     >> delete one of them using the moderator admindb interface, but
     >> when I tried to delete the second message, I got the "hit a
     >> bug" page (traceback is listed below).
     >> At that point I: ran check_db and check_perms, restarted the
     >> daemon, cleared out the locks.  No luck.
     MS> Restarting mailman shouldn't have been required. If you
     MS> 'cleared locks' you may now have multiple instances of the
     MS> same qrunners running. This needs to be addressed - see
     MS> <http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq04.068.htp>.
     >> I found the heldmsg in data/ and deleted the message manually,
     >> which seems to have made matters worse.  Now when I access the
     >> admindb web page for the mailing list, it throws the error
     >> right away
     >> before displaying the admindb page (same traceback as before).
     >>  I suspect I may have not deleted everything I need to delete.
     MS> That's right. You also need to delete the
     MS> lists/listname/request.pck that contains the request and
     MS> points to the now non-existent heldmsg file.
 This did the trick.  Thanks!
     >> I have considered upgrading to 2.1.7, but thought I should
     >> resolve this issue first.
     MS> I'm not sure if the underlying issue is fixed in 2.1.7 or
     MS> not. At this point, I would advise going to 2.1.8 (rc1 should
     MS> be released this weekend).
 Will monitor if any additional spam cause the unicode error
 again and, if so,  will test under 2.1.8rc1.

Talk is cheap. Use Yahoo! Messenger to make PC-to-Phone calls.  Great rates starting at 1&cent;/min.

More information about the Mailman-Users mailing list