[Mailman-Users] Bouncing a user repeatedly.

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Mon Apr 3 17:49:54 CEST 2006

P.I.Julius wrote:

>On Thu, 2006-03-30 at 08:28 -0800, Mark Sapiro wrote:
>>
>> This may say that Mailman is actually trying to send just to
>> cva34.internetdsl.tpnet.pl or p43n152.172.63.ruraltel.net. This may be
>> some loop involved in rejecting messages or some kind of 'denial of
>> service' attack on your server. You never mentioned messages incomming
>> to Mailman. Are there any?
>
>Yes they are, more than a lot.
>

>> If you look at the list's Privacy options generic_nonmember_action and
>> header_filter_rules actions if any, are these set to Reject? If so,
>> try changing them to Hold or Discard and see what happens (Hold will
>> give more information if this is the problem).
>>

>generic_nonmember_action is set to Discard, but I cant find any
>header_filter_rules.

If you mean you can't find where header_filter_rules is, it's under
Privacy options->Spam filters. If you mean there aren't any rules
specified, then that's not part of the problem.

>Anyway: i just got an email from one of my friend and he said the only
>way to stop this is to stop mailman and after that delete the specified
>messages from the qfiles directory. Could this be a bug?

Maybe. I can't say what the problem is without knowing more about the
incoming messages.

I suggest 'bin/mailmanctl stop', then 'ls -lR qfiles/' to see what is
in what queues. Normally, I would suggest bin/show_qfiles to look at
the individual files, but pre-2.1.8a1 show_qfiles has a bug. There is
a patch at
<http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1444447&group_id=103&atid=100103>,
or you can use bin/dumpdb.

If you find unwanted messages in qfiles/in, qfiles/out, qfiles/command
and/or qfiles/virgin (I think those are the only places they would
be), move the .pck files out of those directories, but save them for
analysis. We would want to see what the various messages look like.

Then do 'bin/mailmanctl start' to start Mailman. Note that even when
Mailman is stopped, new posts and requests will be added to the in/
and command/ queues as messages arrive, so you can't just blindly
empty the queues as some of the entries will be wanted.