[Mailman-Users] Can't send or receive via mail lists

Webmaster webmaster at gypsydev.us
Wed Apr 5 20:10:37 CEST 2006

Todd Zullinger wrote:

>See FAQ 6.11 for info on cPanel.
>
>    http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq06.011.htp
>
>You don't want to edit Defaults.py.  Your changes should go into
>mm_cfg.py, as stated emphatically at the top of Defaults.py:
>
>    # NEVER make site configuration changes to this file.  ALWAYS make
>    # them in mm_cfg.py instead, in the designated area.  See the
>    # comments in that file for details.
>
>If you don't follow this, your changes will very likely get
>overwritten during an update and your setup might stop working
>mysteriously.

I did see that in the comments of the Defaults.py file.  I was looking
at that file while talking with the support people.  When I brought that
to their attention, their statement was "You can't break it anymore then
it already is".  Now I understand why I should place that in mm_cfg.py.
I will get that done pronto.

>Sort of the equivalent of a reboot for windows.  To me that's a sign
>that the support folks are punting and hoping a restart will magically
>fix a problem they do not understand.  I've had the displeasure of
>dealing with more than a few hosting services that run cPanel and have
>no clue how to do basic sysadmin on the boxes they have.

I'm starting to relate to that, see the tech support comment above  :-)

>Mailman isn't running, so a restart which calls stop and then start
>will fail the stop.  That's the qrunner error you see first.  The
>second error you get when mailman tries to start is trying to tell you
>that the master site list needs to be created.  If it is not created
>as part of the cPanel installation and setup, then you need to create
>it.  See the FAQ and docs that come with mailman for details.  It's
>covered in good detail there, but the paths will be different for you
>on cPanel.  There may well be other issues you run into that are
>caused by the way cPanel tries to mask all of the sysadmin tasks for
>you.  The support options available to cPanel users (some of which are
>listed in the mailman FAQ) might be better places to get specific
>guidance on getting mailman running on cPanel.
>
>On a typical mailman installation, you'd simply run
>
>    bin/newlist mailman
>
>as the mailman user to create the site list.
>
>Good luck

Thank you, I will give that a try.

I will also look at the cpanel forums.

Thanks,