[Mailman-Users] Multiple virtual domains on apache each with amailing list.

Steven Champeon schampeo at hesketh.com
Wed Apr 5 20:45:28 CEST 2006

on Tue, Apr 04, 2006 at 09:07:26PM -0700, Mark Sapiro wrote:
> Chad Jackson wrote:
> >The problem is I have configured general at abc.com and would now like to
> >create general at def.com and general at xyz.com.
>
> This is a problem. Standard Mailman supports multiple, separate
> domains, but with the restriction that list names must be globally
> unique. If you want to support lists in different domains with the
> same list names, you either have to patch Mailman or run multiple
> instances of Mailman, one per domain.

Yeah, but list names and email addresses aren't the same thing; you can
have 'general1' and 'general2' set up such that one of them is addressable
via 'general at example.com' and the other via 'general at example.net'; it's
not a Mailman issue, it's an MTA configuration issue. When I was doing
virtual hosting we did this all the time. In fact, there's an article I
wrote that details how to do it with sendmail:

 http://www.hesketh.com/publications/mailman_made_easy.html

It was originally written for Web Techniques several years ago, so it
is probably out of date, but the virtual hosting/sendmail stuff is all
reasonably current. Dunno how you'd do it if you are using one of them
fancy new Web control panels, tho.

HTH,
Steve

--