[Mailman-Users] get members list

John W. Baxter jwblist at loricamail.com
Sun Apr 9 05:53:30 CEST 2006

On 4/8/06 7:35 PM, "Ed" <justbrits at comcast.net> wrote:

> <<so it doesn't tend to get a chance to annoy me more than occasionally.
> :)>>
> YOU are lucky -:) !!

The continuing outcry against the old way was the reason the alphabetic way
was tried.

The old way produced pages of 30--I think--addresses (count was modifiable),
with an index of available address ranges presented on each such page.

For small lists, the two ways are equivalent (except for the odd-looking
one-entry index if the old way showed that--I forget).  For huge lists, the
larger alphabetic pages get broken into parts anyhow, but at least there are
fewer parts to consider.

For in-between sizes, the amount of complaining seems to vary with the
connection speed of the person(s) using the member list.

Various ways to improve matters have been discussed.  I tend to favor
gathering initial characters (not always letters) together to make up one
(configurable-max size) page.  Even fairly large lists might have just one
page devoted to addresses starting with digits, that way.

The modern way would probably be to publish a web service which sends out
the list in XML, and a couple of working sample programs which display
according to different tastes, with the XML described clearly enough that
more display programs would be written (and contributed, one hopes).