[Mailman-Users] Accessing lists

Allan Hansen hansen at rc.org
Mon Apr 10 20:44:10 CEST 2006

At 11:08 -0500 4/10/06, Brad Knowles wrote:
>At 8:57 AM -0700 2006-04-10, Allan Hansen wrote:
>
>>  Instead of looking up subscribers by address, use their names.
>
>	You can also use the Mailman search function, which will work
>with partial names and e-mail addresses, either by user part or
>domain part.  If the comment field in their subscription is filled
>in, that should be searchable too.
>
>	If I were subscribed to your lists, you could search for me by my
>first name (or part thereof), my last name (or part thereof), or any
>part of the domain name of the dozen or more different domains that I
>might use in subscribing to your lists.
>

>	In other words, all the necessary features are already there in
>the search box.  You just have to use them.

Yes, of course, as I am interacting with Mailman after all, but
my setup has one BIG advantage: speed. Using my setup I can search
through all the lists in 1 second (the same subscriber may be on multiple
lists and want to get off them all). Using the Mailman pages I first
have to wait, then enter the list name, then wait, then enter my
password, then wait, then enter the search, then wait, etc. Just to
look at 1 of my 40+ lists. Then repeat all that 40 times...

Allan
| Allan Hansen, Ph.D.                                             |
|    P.O. Box 2423, Cypress, CA 90630, U.S.A.                     |
| Work:                              Home:                        |
| Phone: +1-714/952-6015             +1-714/875-8870              |
| Fax:   +1-714/952-6746                                          |
| Email: allan.hansen at ugs.com        hansen at rc.org                |
| WWW:   http://www.ugs.com          http://www.rc.org/           |
|_Anything is possible with the right tools and right information_|