[Mailman-Users] Error: You are not authorized to create new mailing

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Wed Apr 12 03:52:40 CEST 2006

Lance Newland wrote:

>"Error: You are not authorized to create new mailing". I was hoping that you
>did find a solution for this problem for I am having the same problem.

The last item on the list create form is "List creator's
(authentication) password:". This password must be provided and it
must be either the site password or the special list creator password,
both set by bin/mmsitepass. See

bin/mmsitepass --help

for more information.

The only time the 'You are not authorized to create new mailing lists'
error is issued is when the passwords don't match. Either you haven't
set the password, or you aren't providing the correct password, or the
password is not being correctly passed by your web server in the post
data from the form to Mailman. For help on the last issue, see
<http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq04.045.htp>.