[Mailman-Users] Archive problems

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Wed Apr 12 17:36:38 CEST 2006

Thomas Waters <thomaswaters at mac.com>
   Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2006 10:28:55 -0400
     To: mailman-users at python.org

>I'm having two problems concerning list archives.
>
>Server: Apple XServe, OS X Server 10.4.5, Mailman 2.1.5
>
>1) In the web interface for Admin, link to list archives does not
>have correct path.
>
>I ran bin/fix_url, but that didn't fix the problem
>the mm_cfg.py file lists correct default mail host and default url host

Are these public or private archives. If public, in 2.1.5 two things
are involved:

  The Defaults.py/mm_cfg.py template PUBLIC_ARCHIVE_URL

  A look up of the list's host_name attribute in an inverted
  VIRTUAL_HOSTS dictionary.

This latter means that if you have an incorrect value for
DEFAULT_URL_HOST in Defaults.py, and you don't clear it in mm_cfg.py,
you can get the incorrect host. What you want in mm_cfg.py is:

DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST = ...
DEFAULT_URL_HOST = ...
VIRTUAL_HOSTS.clear()

>2) If I manually fix the URL for archives, I get a list of archives,
>but does not include all archives- none of the current months.  I do
>not know if 1) it isn't archiving or 2) there is a different issue here.
>
>I think it may not be archiving because in the OS X Server Admin
>pane, looking at /var/mailman/logs/error, there are entries like:
>
>Apr 12 10:18:02 2006 (475) Uncaught runner exception: [Errno 13]
>Permission denied: '/private/var/mailman/archives/private/rx2006/
>database/2006-April-date.lock.rxweb.pharmacy.pitt.edu.475.2'
>
>Permissions for /mailman/archives/  is   Owner: system RW, Group:
>mailman RW, Others: R

That's OK, but you also need to check permissions on the higher
directories. There are several threads in the archives of this list
about permissions on Mac OS X. See for example
<http://www.google.com/search?q=site%3Amail.python.org++inurl%3Amailman-users+%22permission+denied%22+mac+os>.

Also see the material linked at the end of
<http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq01.021.htp>.