[Mailman-Users] Archive problems

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Wed Apr 12 17:36:38 CEST 2006

Thomas Waters <thomaswaters at mac.com>
   Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2006 10:28:55 -0400
     To: mailman-users at python.org

>I'm having two problems concerning list archives.
>Server: Apple XServe, OS X Server 10.4.5, Mailman 2.1.5
>1) In the web interface for Admin, link to list archives does not
>have correct path.
>I ran bin/fix_url, but that didn't fix the problem
>the mm_cfg.py file lists correct default mail host and default url host

Are these public or private archives. If public, in 2.1.5 two things
are involved:

  The Defaults.py/mm_cfg.py template PUBLIC_ARCHIVE_URL

  A look up of the list's host_name attribute in an inverted
  VIRTUAL_HOSTS dictionary.

This latter means that if you have an incorrect value for
DEFAULT_URL_HOST in Defaults.py, and you don't clear it in mm_cfg.py,
you can get the incorrect host. What you want in mm_cfg.py is:

>2) If I manually fix the URL for archives, I get a list of archives,
>but does not include all archives- none of the current months.  I do
>not know if 1) it isn't archiving or 2) there is a different issue here.
>I think it may not be archiving because in the OS X Server Admin
>pane, looking at /var/mailman/logs/error, there are entries like:
>Apr 12 10:18:02 2006 (475) Uncaught runner exception: [Errno 13]
>Permission denied: '/private/var/mailman/archives/private/rx2006/
>Permissions for /mailman/archives/  is   Owner: system RW, Group:
>mailman RW, Others: R

That's OK, but you also need to check permissions on the higher
directories. There are several threads in the archives of this list
about permissions on Mac OS X. See for example

Also see the material linked at the end of