[Mailman-Users] Archive problems

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Fri Apr 14 03:16:13 CEST 2006

Thomas Waters wrote:

>Maybe the mm_cfg.py file is not being used- or there is something
>wrong with it, so Mailman is using the default.py file.

I told you the correct way to fix this in mm_cfg.py in my first reply
to your original post. You even quoted it back in your response.

Here's the issue:

Defaults.py contains

DEFAULT_URL_HOST = 'uhost1.example.com'
DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST = 'ehost.example.com'

This creates a VIRTUAL_HOSTS dictionary with one key as follows:

{'uhost1.example.com': 'ehost.example.com'}

Now you put the following in mm_cfg.py

DEFAULT_URL_HOST = 'uhost2.example.com'
DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST = 'ehost.example.com'

and presumably

Now the VIRTUAL_HOSTS dictionary contains:

{'uhost1.example.com': 'ehost.example.com',
{'uhost2.example.com': 'ehost.example.com'}

Now in 2.1.5, Archiver.py inverts this dictionary, but since both email
host entries are the same, the inverted dictionary has only the one
key 'ehost.example.com' and the corresponding value is either
'uhost1.example.com' or 'uhost2.example.com' and because dictionaries
are stored in hashed order, it is indeterminate which, but in your
case, the value is 'uhost1.example.com' rather than the desired
'uhost2.example.com'.

The way to address this in mm_cfg.py is as I said in my first reply.
Clear out the Defaults.py VIRTUAL_HOSTS dictionary in mm_cfg.py as in

DEFAULT_URL_HOST = 'uhost2.example.com'
DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST = 'ehost.example.com'
VIRTUAL_HOSTS.clear()

Of course, the other way to address this, at least if you are
installing from source, is to supply the correct --with-mailhost= and
--with-urlhost= options to configure in the first place.

>The largest piece of this problem unresolved is the list of archives
>is not complete.  The list includes only a few months at the end of
>2005.  I do not seem to be able to get this list to show all archives.

Did you see my second reply in this thread at
<http://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-users/2006-April/050477.html>?

If not, please do. If so, please address that reply, specifically, are
the missing messages in archives/private/listname.mbox/listname.mbox?
(I suspect not or bin/arch would have put them in the archive.) Are
the missing messages queued in qfiles/shunt/? Have you run bin/unshunt?