[Mailman-Users] strange attachment-behaviour when using headers

peter pilsl pilsl at goldfisch.at
Fri Apr 14 15:09:37 CEST 2006

I've a list that adds headers to all mails.

Now several user using Outlook and Bat report strange behavior with
mails with attachments: The received mail then only contains the header
and the original mailbody is only accessible as text-attachment.

example:
user sends a mail to the list containing a message-body and a
pdf-attachment.
Users with Outlook and Bat  then gets the mail and only the list-added
header in the mail. To read the original mail they need to click on the
attached text-file.

When I look at the mail I see that all parts of the mail are
mime-encoded and it seems that my thunderbird is smart enough to put
them together while other mailers are not.

Is there any solution/explanation for this?

I found that while the mailman-header is 7bit-encoded, the original
mailbody is 8bit encoded and different charsets are used. Can this be a
problem of different charsets that cannot be handled by great Outlook
and cool Bat ?

example (first is the header, second the original mail)

------=_NextPart_000_0004_01C65FC6.F3E285B0

erweiterte Liste

------=_NextPart_000_0004_01C65FC6.F3E285B0

Hallo noch mal!

Los gehts :-)
Anbei schick ich euch ein Dokument, wo ich einige Überlegungen zum Thema PR
zusammengeschrieben habe, u.a. die Definition der Zielgruppen aus meiner
Sicht mit den Ergänzungen von Stefan und Max und die nächsten Schritte.