[Mailman-Users] Problem using HTTPS

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Fri Apr 14 16:26:14 CEST 2006

morc at onionleaf.com wrote:

>  I must be really lame not getting it to work, but I can't. What I want to do
>is make all URLs https for added security. I modified the default URL pattern
>to https://%s/... in both mm_cfg.py and Defaults.py, recompiled the Python
>files, but it still gives me all URLs with http. Where do I have to change the
>code or which parameter to make it https? I'm using Debian 3.1 if that matetrs
>and the MailMan version is 2.1.5-8sarge2.

The thing that actually needs to be changed is the web_page_url
attribute of the lists.

You need to change DEFAULT_URL_PATTERN in mm_cfg.py only. I assume the
other stuff you say you did is because this didn't appear to work, but
it wasn't decessary because it does work. The problem is, that only
affects new lists, not existing ones. You didn't do step 3 of
<http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq04.027.htp>
for existing lists.

Note that in addition to the

 $prefix/bin/withlist -l -r fix_url listname

command shown in the FAQ, you can also do

 $prefix/bin/withlist -l -a -r fix_url

to change all lists at once. I just tried to add this to the FAQ, but
there is an ongoing intermittent permissions problem that's preventing
me from doing this at the moment.