[Mailman-Users] Issues with SMTPdirect

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Tue Apr 18 21:51:10 CEST 2006

Stephen wrote:

>We are currently having issues, with we suspect SMTPdirect, which is currently set to "localhost". The following are some error messages we recieve;
>
>Apr 18 09:00:04 2006 (7284) Low level smtp error: (111, 'Connection refused')
>delivery to hiddenaddress at somedomain failed with code -1: (111, 'Connection refused')
>

>We are seeing hours to multiple days in delay of sending, what appears to be happening is it tries to send to smtpdirect for a period of time then finally gives up and uses /usr/lib/sendmail, now we think we tracked it down.

Mailman doesn't do this. If SMTPDirect thinks the error is retryable,
it will queue the message for retry in the retry queue and it will be
retried later, but by SMTPDirect, not by any other method.

>But we would like to be able to have more verbose logging, to see what smtpdirect is trying to connect too. Is this possible, minding that we have perl programmers and what not but no one that is a python wizard.

SMTPDirect by default is trying to connect to port 25 on 'localhost'.
You can change either or both of these by assigning SMTPHOST and/or
SMTPPORT in mm_cfg.py. (Note that SMTPPORT = 0 says use the smtplib
default port which is port 25.)

See
<http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq06.014.htp>.
It is about a different problem, so the solutions probably aren't
directly relevant, but there are small Python snippets and pointers to
others in the archives that may help you with diagnosis.

The logging in SMTPDirect is pretty verbose already. Between the
'post', 'smtp' and 'smtp-failure' logs, you get quite a bit. You can
change the SMTP_LOG_* settings in mm_cfg.py (see the descriptions in
Defaults.py) to get more things reported by the various log
statements, but you can't add additional log statements this way. For
that you actually have to modify SMTPDirect.py.

But, the debug suggestions in the FAQ article should help you find more
information.