[Mailman-Users] How to edit confirmation message?

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Fri Apr 21 22:42:55 CEST 2006

Robotech_Master wrote:

>The hosting company for which I work uses Mailman on one of its
>servers, and one of our clients wants to know how to edit the
>confirmation message that is sent out to subscribers. I notice this is
>apparently possible since the confirmation I got for signing up to
>this mailing list had a different subject line than the default, but
>the option did not appear to be available from the list manager
>interface. Is it a matter of hand-editing some text file?

The subject of the confirmation message is either the fixed text "Your
confirmation is required to join the %(listname)s mailing list" (hard
coded in the GetConfirmJoinSubject() method Mailman/MailList.py) or
the confirm command depending on the setting of VERP_CONFIRMATIONS in
Defaults.py/mm_cfg.py.

The contents of the confirmation is built from the verify.txt template.
This is not one of the templates that can be edited through the admin
web interface. See
<http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq04.048.htp>
for editing information.

>He would also like to know how to change the *subject line* of the
>"welcome to this mailing list" post, the *body* of which can be edited
>from the list manager menu but apparently not the subject line.

The welcome message subject is hard coded in the SendSubscribeAck()
method in Mailman/Deliverer.py.