[Mailman-Users] How to edit confirmation message?

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Fri Apr 21 22:42:55 CEST 2006

Robotech_Master wrote:

>The hosting company for which I work uses Mailman on one of its
>servers, and one of our clients wants to know how to edit the
>confirmation message that is sent out to subscribers. I notice this is
>apparently possible since the confirmation I got for signing up to
>this mailing list had a different subject line than the default, but
>the option did not appear to be available from the list manager
>interface. Is it a matter of hand-editing some text file?

The subject of the confirmation message is either the fixed text "Your
confirmation is required to join the %(listname)s mailing list" (hard
coded in the GetConfirmJoinSubject() method Mailman/MailList.py) or
the confirm command depending on the setting of VERP_CONFIRMATIONS in

The contents of the confirmation is built from the verify.txt template.
This is not one of the templates that can be edited through the admin
web interface. See
for editing information.

>He would also like to know how to change the *subject line* of the
>"welcome to this mailing list" post, the *body* of which can be edited
>from the list manager menu but apparently not the subject line.

The welcome message subject is hard coded in the SendSubscribeAck()
method in Mailman/Deliverer.py.