[Mailman-Users] LDAP-based reg & "one-page" subscription selection?

Matt England mengland at mengland.net
Sun Apr 23 19:17:50 CEST 2006

The questions:

Do any Mailman-to-LDAP "connectors" exist?

Do any single-view-for-all-subscriptions software packages exist for Mailman?

The background details:

My collaboration site plans to offer several Mailman lists in addition to
its existing applications (MediaWiki, phpBB, Subversion, and more to
come).  We use a single/common account-registration capability across all
these existing apps using an LDAP-based user-accounting mechanism.

We would to bring Mailman into this LDAP-based registration scheme.

Further, we would like to have a "Mailman email-list subscription overview"
page in which we allow the LDAP-registered-and-signed-on user to be able so
simply select in one page view--probably with a list of email lists
presented to them with checkboxes next to each list allowing the user to
mark a list as "subscribed" or "unsubscribed."

We are looking for software packages that have already solved this
problem.  Does anyone know of any?

We haven't found any--although our search has not been exhaustive.  Some
simple googles haven't found anything, nor has
<http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py> produced anything for "ldap" or
"single subscription" or "subscription page".

We were considering rolling our own stuff, but I thought I'd ask here
before proceeding.

An aside: we don't have single-sign-on capability on our site yet, but that
will be coming shortly, too.  Right now the user has to sign on with each app.

Another aside:  We have been working with a similar "internal"
collaboration site with several functional and popular Mailman lists, but
this sight had no integrated registration or login--each app, including
Mailman, had a different account namespace.  We have now fired up a
"public" collaboration site (our project has open-sourced) to replace a
part of this internal-site's activity, and we don't want the user
experience to be as fractured on our public site as our private/internal site.

-Matt