[Mailman-Users] Postfix Does Not Recognize Mailman Accounts

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Mon Apr 24 02:23:32 CEST 2006

Richard Petty wrote:

>I received the expected admin welcome message from Mailman and the
>expected user welcome message from Mailman, however, when I sent a
>message to the list I get an "unknown account"-type message from Postfix.
>
>Here are the relevant statements from Postfix's main.cf file:
>
>  virtual_alias_maps = ldap:aliases,      hash:/etc/mailman/virtual-mailman
>  alias_maps         = hash:/etc/aliases, hash:/etc/mailman/aliases
>

>BTW, those file paths for the Mailman map files are correct. I cat'ed
>them out and the content seems reasonable:

And are there /etc/mailman/virtual-mailman.db and
/etc/mailman/aliases.db files created by Postfix's postmap and
postalias commands? The defaults for these are

POSTFIX_ALIAS_CMD = '/usr/sbin/postalias'
POSTFIX_MAP_CMD = '/usr/sbin/postmap'

and if those are correct, the list create process should run them
automatically after updating the virtual-mailman and aliases files.

<snip>
>Here are the relevant statements from Mailman's mm_cfg.py file:
>
>  MTA = 'Postfix'
>  DEFAULT_URL_HOST   = 'realdomain.com'
>  DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST = 'realdomain.com'
>
>  add_virtualhost(DEFAULT_URL_HOST, DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST)
>  POSTFIX_STYLE_VIRTUAL_DOMAINS =
>['virtualdomain1.com','virtualdomain2.com']

If all your lists are in the realdomain.com domain as are the first
two, you aren't really using Postfix virtual domains for Mailman and I
think you could do without POSTFIX_STYLE_VIRTUAL_DOMAINS and
/etc/mailman/virtual-mailman, but I think it should work as you have
it if the *.db files have been updated.

Caveat - I'm far from a Postfix expert.