[Mailman-Users] Using gmail SMTP and mailman together

Matthew Price mandtprice at gmail.com
Mon Apr 24 19:48:34 CEST 2006

I am trying to find some free software that will allow me to issue an
email newsletter for year long  road trip that I will be taking.  I
have about 200 people that are interested in receiving periodic
updates by email.  I have a gmail address reserved for this purpose
and would LOVE to use their SMTP service to issue these updates while
on the road with my laptop.

I looked through the docs and list archives by I couldn't find any
answer to a few questions.  Can mailman be configured to connect and
authenticate to a remote, secure SMTP server rather than an unsecured
local one?  This will be a read-only list that I am setting up, so a
list enging could concievable run from my laptop while connected to a
hotspot and the let any replies come back to the gmail address rather
than being collected and redistributed though mailman.

I wrote a perl script years ago to do something similar, but I don't
have the time now to reproduce it.  Is there some other piece of
software I could run instead that would remail a single message to a
list of addresses?  I know that sounds like a spam engine, but the
specific functionality I need is the ability to make a TLS connection
to the gmail smtp server and not fire them off myself without any smtp
server.

Thanks for any help,
Matthew