[Mailman-Users] Can this be done with Mailman?

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Mon Apr 24 21:23:18 CEST 2006

Odhiambo Washington wrote:

>Today, my boss, in one of his crazy thoughts, asked me if it's possible
>(with Mailman or other MLM) to have a mailing list that would have the
>following restrictions:
>
>1. The list will be archived
>2. The list admin can search all archives
>3. A list member is only allowed to search through the archives, but
>   can only view what s/he posted, not what other members posted!

You definitely can't do this with the existing Mailman pipermail
archives. It probably is possible to modify Mailman/Cgi/private.py to
restrict viewing such that if the user has authorized as a member
rather than as an admin, the user can only retrieve pages for which
she/he is the author. I don't know of any attempts to do this with
pipermail or any external archiver.

You didn't ask for criticism of the idea itself so I won't offer any.

--
Mark Sapiro <msapiro at value.net>       Any clod can have the facts;
San Francisco Bay Area, California    having opinions is an art. -