[Mailman-Users] Question about Configure --with-var-prefix=dir

Barry Finkel b19141 at britaine.ctd.anl.gov
Mon Apr 24 23:27:47 CEST 2006

I am starting testing of mailman to see if it fits our needs and to
see how it compares to other mailing list manangement packages.
I want to configure my test system with the installation on a disk
local to the Solaris 10 system, but I want the mutable data on a
shared file system (in my case AFS).

The installation instructions "2.2 Create the installation directory"
has

    % cd $prefix
    % chgrp mailman .
    % chmod a+rx,g+ws .

and "3.1 Run configure" has

     --with-var-prefix=dir
         Store mutable data under dir instead of under the $prefix or
         $exec_prefix. Examples of such data include the list archives
         and list settings database.

There is nothing in the instructions to do step 2.2 in the "mutable"
directory, but the configure script stops if the directory is not
set up per section 2.2.

The AFS (Andrew File System) is different than a regular Unix file
system in that it uses ACLs for permission.  Does anyone have
any experience in placing the mutable data in AFS?  Thanks.
Barry S. Finkel
Building 222, Room D209              Internet: BSFinkel at anl.gov