[Mailman-Users] Fwd: Using gmail SMTP and mailman together

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Tue Apr 25 19:43:58 CEST 2006

Matthew Price wrote:

>The need to be able to connect to a remote, tls speaking MTA has been
>eliminated by a little program called ssmtp that I found in the debian
>repository.  All it does is impersonate the sendmail binary on the
>client end while piping the message to 'real' smtp server over tcp/ip.
> It supports tla and authentication so that is a relief.  The only
>unknow is speed, since ssmtp doesn't do any spooling it could be quite
>a wait if one has to wait for 200 individual SMTP transactions to
>process.

The number of SMTP transactions to send to 200 members depends on
various Mailman settings. If the list is not personalized or VERPed,
the default is to send one transaction with 200 (up to 500 per
transaction) recipients. With personalization or VERP like delivery,
there will be one transaction per recipient.