[Mailman-Users] Can this be done with Mailman?

Odhiambo Washington wash at wananchi.com
Tue Apr 25 19:00:40 CEST 2006

* On 24/04/06 14:28 -0700, Mark Sapiro wrote:
| Odhiambo Washington wrote:
| >
| >Fine, so it's doable, only if he commissions the work and funds it, yes?
| >;-)
|

| Right.
|

| >| You didn't ask for criticism of the idea itself so I won't offer any.
| >
| >Since I did not even imagine the possibility.
| >
| >I'd be happy, however, to hear you "critique" the idea. Thanks.
|

| My first reaction is "why would you want to do that!". I still can't
| figure that out.

As sure as day follows night, I did ask myself first, then my boss the
question! Funnily enough, he had an answer, which he was passionate at
explaining, but which was so hard for me to buy, even at a discounted
rate ;)

| Then my questions are "what would the purpose of this archive be?" and
| "in what way would members find it useful?"

Two questions without answers so far, but I am going to ask him again,
then revert back to you. Perhaps he has a point.

| I suspect one of two things would happen. Either no one is interested
| in archives anyway so it wouldn't make any difference, or people do
| want archives in which case, people being resourceful, you would
| quickly see two things happen.

I did not hear him say there is need for the archives by anyone else
except that this was coming in in his imagination.

| Every post in a thread will quote the entire thread to that point
| because everyone knows that 'context' can't be found in the archives,
| and those who are really interested in having access to archives will
| reply to every thread with nothing but a quote of the thread so that
| they can have access to the thread in the archive.

Which beats the limitations he perceived.

| I would still like to know what 'problem' is being solved by this idea
| as I can't think of one.

You will know in a few hours, I hope. Thanks for your time.

        cheers
       - wash
Odhiambo Washington            		. WANANCHI ONLINE LTD (Nairobi, KE)  |
wash () WANANCHI ! com			. 1ere Etage, Loita Hse, Loita St.,  |
GSM: (+254) 722 743 223			. # 10286, 00100 NAIROBI             |
GSM: (+254) 733 744 121			. (+254) 020 313 985 - 9             |