[Mailman-Users] Restoring Mailman lists

Brian Fahrlander Brian at fahrlander.net
Tue Apr 25 11:33:43 CEST 2006

Mailman is a well-made, but odd product for an administrator (not a
programmer): it's slick, simple, reliable, everything you'd want from a
mailing list but one: a clearness of documentation.  I've installed it
at least three times, and I swear I couldn't tell you how to.  Sendmail,
on the other hand, when you've installed it, you *know* how you did it,
ya know?

That's what's making things hard for us, here. The OS is Fedora Core 4
(Ubuntu's not quite ready) and we're running the most recent RPM
available, mailman-2.1.5-35.fc4.

A server was running this for several years- one of my mentioned
installs. It's now run long enough to start to worry about the
reliability of the drives, and for subsequent admins to make some
mistakes that turned a bit messy.  So a new drive is /dev/hda, and the
old one is /dev/hdc, and mounted read-only, as /archive until we're
completely transitioned.

And ya know- I coulda *sworn* the actual list of subscribers
was in a text file in a previous version, but it isn't.

Key questions:

1. What, explicitly, do I copy from the archive to get the lists
back, and what steps do I take to make them work?  Simply
copying the files that seem right, don't work at all. I suspect
the binary to check the configuration will be involved, but the
docs are driving me up a tree.

2. Am I doing this right? Usually when I spend a couple of
days Googling and turn up nothing, it means I'm doing something
wrong...

--
Don't be fooled by lovesongs and lonely hearts...you're living in a
Twilight World.