[Mailman-Users] Newbie question(s).

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Wed Apr 26 02:05:48 CEST 2006

William D. Tallman

>Is it possible to run a server behind a gateway and through an ISP?

Yes.

>Fetchmail can service list mailboxes easily enough, and Sendmail can do
>transport duty both ways.  But in order that my machine's hostname is
>not carried beyond the gateway, I have to use the Sendmail '-f' switch.
>Simple enough.

Actually you don't. Mailman talks to sendmail at the SMTP level, not at
the sendmail command level and it specifies it's own domain
(configured in Mailman) in both From: and envelope sender.

>Don't know whether or not Mailman can be configured to accept messages
>from Fetchmail, and/or to pass outgoing to Sendmail, however.

If you run Sendmail on your server so it listens on 'localhost' port
25, Mailman will talk to it 'out of the box'

I'm not fully familiar with Fetchmail's capabilities, but if Fetchmail
can retrieve mail from a remote mailbox and pipe it to a local command
(different depending on which mailbox it came from), this will work.
Also, Procmail can definitely do what's required to get mail to
Mailman.

Also, there is another 'experimental' way to get mail to Mailman where
Fetchmail would deposit the incoming mail in a local directory, and
Mailman's USE_MAILDIR option is set so Mailman basically polls the
local directory for new mail.

>If I set up Mailman on my machine, it will (I presume) regard it's own
>address as that of the machine, an address only valid on my LAN.

You would set up Mailman to know and use the external domain names.
There are some potential complications mostly involving what list
names appear on what web pages, but as long as you are not trying to
support multiple domains with some lists in one and other lists in
another, these are easily handled.

>suppose the question is whether or not I can set up reliable address
>translation for the outgoing smtp stuff, but I'm a relative newbie at
>all this and would sure like to know what is or is not feasible/possible
>before I get all bogged down and over my head.

I'm not sure what you are envisioning here, but I think there is no
problem. I think everything can use 'outside' addresses.