[Mailman-Users] error install MM on MAC OS x

Larry Stone lstone19 at stonejongleux.com
Wed Apr 26 05:28:37 CEST 2006

On 4/25/06 9:42 PM, Celes Victoria at celesvictoria2005 at yahoo.com.sg wrote:

> helo there... (^_^)
>
> i want to install Mailman on MAC OS x following from
> http://www.mail-archive.com/mailman-users@python.org/msg33402.html
> on step 3 e & f ..i got some errors
>
> micom:/Applications/mailman/mailman-2.1.8 root# sudo
> ./configure --prefix=/Applications/mailman
> --with-cgi-gid=www --with-mail-gid=mailman
> checking for --with-python... no
> checking for python... /usr/bin/python
> checking Python interpreter... /usr/bin/python
> checking Python version... 2.3
> checking that Python has a working distutils... yes
> checking for a BSD compatible install...
> /usr/bin/install -c
> checking whether make sets ${MAKE}... no
> checking for true... /usr/bin/true
> checking for --without-gcc... no
> checking for gcc... no
> checking for cc... no
> configure: error: no acceptable cc found in $PATH
> bemicom:/Applications/mailman/mailman-2.1.8 root# sudo
> make installsudo: make: command not found
>
> should i install the Developer's Tools to fi my
> problems?,..cos i read it on
> http://www.mail-archive.com/mailman-users@python.org/msg14100.html

As Step 1i of my instructions you referenced above says, "You need to
install the Developer Tools that came with your Panther disks
or several of the steps won't work." so yes, you need to install the
Developer Tools (oops, I should have changed that to say "Tiger" rather than
"Panther" and on Tiger, it's another package on the installation DVD, not a
separate CD). The Developer Tools are found in the Xcode Tools folder on the
Tiger DVD (double-click XcodeTools.mpkg) and on the Xcode Tools CD for
Panther and in the Xcode Tools folder on the Tiger DVD (double-click
Developer.mpkg). Looking at the Tiger install DVD, if you select Customize,
it appears you must install at least Developer Tools Software, gcc 3.3, and
the Mac OS X SDK (under Software Development Kits) - most of the stuff is
small but there's probably no reason to install the Developer Documentation,
Developer Example Software or any of the stuff not selected by default which
will save you over a GB. Also note that if you not install the BSD subsystem
as part of you Mac OS X install, you must do that first (that's part of the
Mac OS X install, not the Xcode/Developer Tools install).

--
Larry Stone
lstone19 at stonejongleux.com
http://www.stonejongleux.com/