[Mailman-Users] "-owner" works, "-admin" doesn't...

Kris Wilk kris at reefnet.ca
Thu Apr 27 07:59:44 CEST 2006

First of all, thanks again for your help. Although my problem isn't
solved yet, you've given me a much better understanding of how Mailman
works.

Mark Sapiro wrote:
> Check Mailman's bounce log (if you can). When you send to -admin there
> should be an entry
>
>   bounce message w/no discernable addresses: <message-id>
>
> and a "forwarding unrecognized" entry.

Yes, I see those entries.

> Then if this is followed by a bounce scored for you or a 'already
> scored a bounce' for you, this is the owner notification that bounced.

I see that too (after an "OutgoingRunner" processing line).

> If you then turn off notifying the owner on unrecognized bounces, and
> you get the first message in the log, but not the second, you can be
> sure it is the owner notice that was bouncing.

With the bounce notification off, I no longer get the "OutgoingRunner"
line, nor the bounce score / already bounced line. And "forwarding
unrecognized" becomes "discarding unrecognized".

So it looks like you have really pinpointed where the problem is.

>> What's even more weird is that if subscribe notifications go to
>> "-owner", how would they bounce and my test messages to "-owner" not?
>
> They have different From: headers and different content. If it's
> filtering, maybe the From: in the case of your messages is white
> listed and the listname-owner that the notices are From: is not.

All filtering, spam control, etc. that I can disable has been disabled.

Is there any way to see exactly what message(s) Mailman is trying to
send that are bouncing? Is there a config setting or option that would
cause all mail to be logged/saved/archived so I could see the structure
of the mail and perhaps identify why it would bounce?

Alternatively, is there a way to see the bounce that is coming back
after Mailman sends out the notification email?

Kris