[Mailman-Users] "-owner" works, "-admin" doesn't...

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Thu Apr 27 08:24:45 CEST 2006

Kris Wilk wrote:

>All filtering, spam control, etc. that I can disable has been disabled.

It's not going to be on your side. Whatever it is is at the outgoing
SMTP level on the Mailman server.

>Is there any way to see exactly what message(s) Mailman is trying to
>send that are bouncing? Is there a config setting or option that would
>cause all mail to be logged/saved/archived so I could see the structure
>of the mail and perhaps identify why it would bounce?

Do you control the list aliases? If so, you could change the alias for
list-owner to deliver to a local mailbox instead of piping to Mailman.

>Alternatively, is there a way to see the bounce that is coming back
>after Mailman sends out the notification email?

It depends. If the bounce is reported directly back to Mailman as a
reject at the SMTP level, there should be something in Mailman's
smtp-failure log. Otherwise, you could change the list-bounces alias
to deliver to you or a local mailbox instead of piping to Mailman.
This again assumes that you have control over this.

In any case, check Mailman's smtp-failure log. The "OutgoingRunner"
entry in the bounce log seems to indicate an error in the SMTP
transaction which should be reported in more detail in smtp-failure.