[Mailman-Users] "-owner" works, "-admin" doesn't...

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Thu Apr 27 16:35:55 CEST 2006

Kris Wilk wrote:

>B-I-N-G-O (I think)! The smtp-failure log has entries like:
>
>Seems like SMTP is rejecting mail that is supposed to have come from
>"mailman-bounces at reefnet.ca". That address does not - and never did -
>exist as a real account as far as I know. In the past (when all was
>working) the server must have been configured with less stringent sender
>verification, or some exception for "mailman-" addresses.

Yes. Your analysis seems correct. Mailman generated messages are always
sent from <the site list>-bounces at domain.

The only thing that puzzles me is that should also be true for the
relay of the messages you sent to -owner so why did they go through?
If you send a message to -owner, what do you see in the received
message in any Return-Path: or Sender: headers?

>Sure enough, if I temporarily create an account "mailman-bounces at ...",
>everything starts working as expected. Not sure if that's the "proper"
>solution...I'm guessing I don't really need the account, but rather an
>SMTP rule of some sort to allow the necessary sender addresses.

At least you have a workaround for the interim.